Monday, February 27, 2012

Wonky Bee Inspired

Georgia's Block is finally done! 

It's funny, I did a little write up on my blog about using bees for inspiration.  (The virtual sewing kind, rather than the buzzing honey making kind).  I joined quilting bees to force myself to use fabric that I would not normally select to make blocks that I would  not normally select to be assembled into quilts I would not normally select.  To open my eyes a bit.  It's like trying Thai food for the first time!

When Georgia's packet arrived, I wanted to die!   The pattern she selected was one that I absolutely did not like from the moment I got my Block Party book months back.

I may have pouted a bit.
Maybe whined a little.
A big ol' ugggghhh in my throat.

But we join bees to drag us out of our little comfort zone, so out of the box I begrudgingly crawled.

Now, I think I made Georgia's block backward (SORRY!).


But the POINT of the story is that it wasn't bad!  I didn't hate the block, I didn't hate the fabric, I didn't hate the quilt that it will join it's sister blocks to make!  I even...dare I say...LOVED IT!

And Georgia girl, I gotta say- that block and pattern INSPIRED ME.  Inspired me to create this, and THIS I LOVE!!



So next time I receive a block instruction set, or fabric or anything else that isn't my favorite, I will JUMP at the opportunity to see what dreams it may whirl up in my head!

Thank you Georgia for teaching me!

And yes, I tried Thai food for the fist time a couple years ago, and hate that I went thirty some years without it!

5 comments:

Christine L said...

Leah!!! That is Beautiful! I understand about challenging oneself. GOOD for you! Thanks for sharing!!!

Georgia from WA said...

Leah, Leah, Leah, I LOVE the mini too!! How creative. That's awesome. As for the Wonky Triangles, if it makes you feel better, you weren't the only one that made it backwards but REMEMBER it's a WONKY so anything goes :) Even the gal in the book had 1 that was backwards. In regards to Thae food, I tried it for the very first time about 2 yrs ago and felt the same way "How in the world did I go this long without trying it?" I love Thai food! Thanks so much for giving it a shot. Georgia

Mrs.Pickles said...

great post...mine is backwards too so don't worry. Great mini

Lisa C in GA. said...

show off.

;)

Stephanie said...

Gorgeous! I love your creation!!!!